See this online text:
- “The Witness of the Martyrs in the Early Church”, by Paolo Prosperi, Communio, volume 41 (Spring 2014): pp. 8-39. Available in pdf format through this page of Communio: International Catholic Review.
See also these related texts earlier posted in the Project:
- “Catholic Faith and Martyrdom”, lecture by the Most Rev. Athanasius Schneider, Auxiliary Bishop of Astana, Kazakhstan. The audio of the lecture, together with the question-and-answer session that followed, is available at Soundcloud, posted by Radio Maria; and the text of the lecture be read online at Echt Katholiek.
- “Christian Martyrdom in the Thought of the Servant of God, Father John A. Hardon, S.J.” (lecture), by Raymond Cardinal Burke. Delivered 13 March 2012, at the 15th Annual Lenten Symposium on “The Christian Vocation: A Call to Martyrdom” of the Holy Trinity Apostolate. A video of the lecture, entitled, Cardinal Burke on Fr John Hardon’s ‘Call to Martydom’, published on 12 March 2013, may be viewed on this page of the Youtube channel of Sensus Fidelium. Another copy of the same video, entitled Call to Martyrdom talk by Cardinal Burke, published on 22 February 2013, may be viewed on this page of the wwwtldmorg Youtube channel.
- “Religious Freedom, Persecution of the Church, and Martyrdom”, by Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò, Apostolic Nuncio to the United States. Address delivered at the University of Notre Dame, 4 November 2012. Th text of the address is available in PDF format on this page of the Institute for Church Life, Notre Dame University. The video of the address may be viewed on this page of the Institute for Church Life Youtube channel.
- The Victories of the Martyrs: The Lives of the Most Celebrated Martyrs of the Church, by Saint Alphonsus De Liguori (New York, Cincinnati, Chicago: Benziger Brothers; London: R. Washbourne; Dublin: M.H. Gill & Son, 1886). (The Complete Works of Saint Alphonsus De Liguori: The Ascetical Works, Volume IX, translated from the Italian, edited by Rev. Eugene Grimm). With the approbation of the Superior. Available in PDF format on this page of Catholic Kingdom’s ebooks library; and also in PDF format on this page of Saints’ Books. [N.B.—The 26-page Introduction contains “Useful Reflections, By Which We May Derive Great Fruit From The Reading Of The Combats And The Victories Of The Martyrs”.]
On the Feast of the First Martyrs of the Church of Rome. For other online texts and legally free ebooks, you may access the List of Free eBooks (Arranged by Title) and the List of Free eBooks (Grouped by Subject).
“In those days, men will give you up to persecution, and will put you to death; all the world will be hating you because you bear my name; whereupon many will lose heart, will betray and hate one another. Many false prophets will arise, and many will be deceived by them; and the charity of most men will grow cold, as they see wickedness abound everywhere; but that man will be saved who endures to the last.” (St. Matthew xxiv, 3-4, 9-13. Formatting supplied.)