See this online text:
- Encyclical “Paenitentiam Agere” on the Need for the Practice of Interior and Exterior Penance, by Pope John XXIII, July 1, 1962. May be read online on this page of Catholic Culture, on this page of the EWTN Library, and the Holy See. May be read online, and available in mobi and epub formats, at Papal Enyclicals Online. The 1962 edition published by the National Catholic Welfare Conference is available at Open Library.
On Ash Wednesday, 2020 AD, in the Roman Rite. For other online texts and legally free ebooks, you may access the List of Free eBooks (Arranged by Title) and the List of Free eBooks (Grouped by Subject).
See this legally free ebook:
- Sister Saint-Pierre and the Work of Reparation: A Brief History, by the Very Rev. P. [Pierre Désiré] Janvier, translated by Miss Mary Hoffman, with a Preface by the Rt. Rev. Mgr. T. Preston, with an appendix of prayers and devotions for the confraternities of the Holy Face (New York: Catholic Publication Society; London: Burns and Oates, 1885). With Imprimatur. May be read online, and available in pdf, epub, mobi, and other formats, at Internet Archive and Open Library. Also available at Forgotten Books (some pages omitted for non-members) and Cofradia de la Santa Faz.
On the day dedicated to devotion to the Holy Face of Our Lord Jesus Christ. For other online texts and legally free ebooks, you may access the List of Free eBooks (Arranged by Title) and the List of Free eBooks (Grouped by Subject).
“My most beloved Jesus, Thy face was beautiful before, but in this journey it has lost all its beauty, and wounds and blood have disfigured it. Alas, my soul also was once beautiful, when it received Thy grace in Baptism; but I have disfigured it since by my sins; Thou alone, my Redeemer, canst restore it to its former beauty. Do this by Thy Passion, O Jesus.” (Saint Alphonsus Liguori, The Way of the Cross, Station VI)
- “On the Importance of Biblical Hebrew in Catholic Seminaries and Academic Institutions”, by André Villeneuve, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Theology, Saint John Vianney Seminary, Denver, CO (January 2017). Available at ResearchGate and Academia.edu.
On the Feast of St. Simeon of Jerusalem in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite. For other online texts and legally free ebooks, you may access the List of Free eBooks (Arranged by Title) and the List of Free eBooks (Grouped by Subject).
See this legally free ebook:
- Manual of Devotions in Honour of Our Lady of Sorrows, 2nd edition, reprinted and enlarged (London: R. Washburne, F.A. Little, 1868). Available on this page of the Catholic Harbor of Faith and Morals (which states that it the 1861 edition was translated by Fr. Ambrose St. John). Also available in pdf, epub, mobi and other formats at Internet Archive, with another copy at Internet Archive.
See also these related texts and ebooks: Continue reading
See these online texts:
- Trafficking of Human Slaves, by Barbara Krallis (2006). A 16-part series on human trafficking and slavery, comprising the following essays first published on Renew America and Catholic World Report, which have been made available at Catholic Culture:
- “21st Century Slavery“, from Renew America, July 18, 2006;
- “Modern Day Slavery Flourishes,” from Renew America, July 19, 2006;
- “Different Forms of Human Slavery,” from Renew America, July 20, 2006;
- “Child Sex Tourism,” from Renew America, July 21, 2006;
- “Slavery as Domestic Servitude,” from Renew America, July 24, 2006;
- “Combatant Human Slaves,” from Renew America, July 25, 2006;
- “Involuntary Human Servitude,” from Renew America, July 26, 2006;
- “Child Slaves for Sport,” from Renew America, July 27, 2006;
- “Trafficking–A Trans-National Criminal Enterprise,” from Renew America, July 28, 2006;
- “How the Trafficking Scams Work,” from Renew America, July 31, 2006;
- “Trafficking in Your Own Backyard,” from Renew America, August 1, 2006;
- “Smart Raids & Rescues of Slaves,” from Renew America, August 2, 2006;
- “S. Government Leads Global Battle Against Trafficking,” from Renew America, August 3, 2006;
- “Catholic Church’s Fight Against Trafficking & Human Slavery,” from Renew America, August 4, 2006;
- “The Hope That No One Should Be a Human Slave,” from Renew America, August 7, 2006;
- “Exposure of Evil Makes Way For the Good.” from Renew America, August 8, 2006.
See also these other texts on modern-day slavery: Continue reading
Voir ce livre gratuit:
- Œuvres du R.P. Claude de la Colombière, de la Compagnie de Jésus: contenant ses sermons prêchés devant S.A.R. Madame la duchesse d’Yorck, ses réflexions chrétiennes sur divers sujets de piété, ses méditations sur la passion, sa retraite, et ses lettres spirituelles (Avignon: Seguin Aîné, 1832). Disponible dans Internet Archive: Tome Premier, Tome Second, Tome Troisieme, Tome Quatrieme, et Tome Cinquieme, contenant ses sermons; Tome Sixieme contenant des réflexions et méditations; et Tome Septieme contenant des retraite et lettres spirituelles.
(And if the grammar is wrong, please correct me. Merci!)
See this online text:
- Love is for Life: Pastoral Letter of the Irish Bishops (Dublin, Ireland: Veritas Publications, 1985) Described as the “Pastoral letter issued on behalf of the Irish Hierarchy in Lent 1985”. May be read online on this page at Catholic Culture, and on this page at EWTN Library. The popular edition is available in pdf format at the Irish Catholic Bishops’ Conference.
See also these texts specifically relating to courtship: Continue reading
See this online text:
- “We Cannot Live without the Eucharist!”: Pastoral Letter 2009-2010 to All the Catholics of Kuwait, from Bishop Camillo Ballin, MCCJ, Vicar Apostolic of Kuwait, released on September 2, 2009. Available online on this page at the Apostolic Vicariate of Northern Arabia.
See also these related texts:
- Apostolic Letter “Dies Domini” on Keeping the Lord’s Day Holy, by Pope John Paul II (Saint John Paul the Great), 31 May 1998. May be read online on this page of Adoremus, and at the Holy See.
- The Moveable Feasts, Fasts, and Other Annual Observances of the Catholic Church, by Rev. Alban Butler, with life of the author by Charles Butler, to which is added, a continuation of the feasts and fasts, by a Catholic priest (Dublin: James Duffy, 1839). May be read online, and available in pdf, mobi, epub, and other formats, at Internet Archive.
On the Feast of the Holy Martyrs of Abitene (Abitinae). For other online texts and legally free ebooks, you may access the List of Free eBooks (Arranged by Title) and the List of Free eBooks (Grouped by Subject).
“I am not asking you if you are a Christian, but if you have taken part in the assembly or if you have a book of the Scriptures [said the pagan magistrate] …
“O foolish and ridiculous question of the judge! As if a Christian could be without the Sunday Eucharist, or the Sunday Eucharist could be celebrated without there being a Christian! Don’t you know, Satan, that it is the Sunday Eucharist which makes the Christian and the Christian that makes the Sunday Eucharist, so that one cannot subsist without the other, and vice versa?…
“When you hear someone say ‘Christian,’ know that there is an assembly that celebrates the Lord; and when you hear someone say ‘assembly,’ know that a Christian is there” (from the acts of the martyrs of Abitene, quoted in Aleteia)