See this online ebook:
- The Catholic Church and the Counter-Faith: A Study of the Roots of Modern Secularism, Relativism, and De-Christianity, by Philip Trower (Family Publications, 2006; Philip Trower, 2014). It may be read online (version 7 January 2014) on this page though the page of Philip Trower at Christendom Awake .
- The webpage states: “Family Publications has now ceased trading. The copyright has reverted to the author Philip Trower who has given permission for the book to be placed on this website.”
- A synopsis and review of the work is available on this page, which states it “explores the root and branches of the intellectual and spiritual malaise in the West today and how they have affected Catholic philosophy and theology.”
- Copies of the work are available for sale at Amazon.
- Its 2003 prequel, Turmoil & Truth: The Historical Roots of the Modern Crisis in the Catholic Church, may also be read online at Christendom Awake.
“Tu Rex Gloriae Christe”, stained glass window by William Earley. Image from Wikipedia
On the Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe (Feast of Christ the King) in the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite; and in belated remembrance of the flight of Blessed Pope Pius IX from the city of Rome (24 November 1848). For other legally free ebooks, you may access the List of Free eBooks (Arranged by Title) and the List of Free eBooks (Grouped by Subject).
“So all the elders of Israel met Samuel at Ramatha; Thou hast grown old, they said to him, and thy sons do not follow in thy footsteps. Give us a king, such as other nations have, to sit in judgement over us. It was little to Samuel’s mind, this demand for a king to be their judge; but when he betook himself to the Lord in prayer, the Lord said to him, Grant the people all they ask of thee. It is my rule over them they are casting off, not thine. It has ever been the same, since the day when I rescued them from Egypt; me they will ever be forsaking, to worship other gods; and now it is thy turn.” (I Samuel viii, 4-8)