We recommend this legally free ebook:
- The History of Heresies, and Their Refutation; or, The Triumph of the Church, by St. Alphonsus Liguori, translated by the Rev. John T. Mullock, of the Order of St, Francis (Dublin: James Duffy, 1847). Available in PDF format through this page at Documenta Catholica Omnia; in PDF format through the Saints’ Books index, and in PDF format through the St Alphonsus Maria Liguori Page of the Traditional Catholic Library of St. Athanasius Press.
Posted in observance of the Feast of St. Alphonsus de Liguori, Bishop and Doctor of the Church and Founder of the Redemptorist Order, in the Ordinary Form (1 August) and the Extraordinary Form (2 August) of the Roman Rite. The homily of Pope Benedict XVI for this feast is online on this page.
Likewise posted in solidarity with our sisters and brothers in the United States, whose right to follow Christ is being violated by the Secular State—as may happen in my country when its fallen Congress enacts the “Responsible Parenthood” Bill into law. May we all endure in Christ, knowing that the gates of Hades will not prevail against His one true Church. Christus vincit!
- 2 August is also the Optional Memorial of Saint Eusebius of Vercelli and Saint Peter Julian Eymard in the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite.
- It is likewise the day for the Commemoration of Pope St. Stephen I in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite.
- It marks the second day of fasting in the Syro-Malankaran and Byzantine Catholic calendars, in preparation for the Feast of the Dormition and Assumption of the Theotokos, Blessed Mary Ever Virgin. (I think we Latin Catholics would do well to imitate this custom.)
- In the calendar of the Order of Preachers it marks the Optional Memorial of Blessed Jane of Aza, mother of St. Dominic and Blessed Mannes.
- In the calendar of the Franciscan Orders it marks the Optional Memorial of Our Lady of the Angels of Portiuncula.