For Lenten reading, see the following free ebooks by Catholic mystics, the links to which have been listed on the Catholic eBooks Project as of 15 April 2011. Please note that the list of works by Christian mystics is still being expanded.
- Adornment of the Spiritual Marriage; The Sparkling Stone; The Book of Supreme Truth, by Blessed John of Ruysbroeck (1916). Available at Internet Archive.
- Ascent of Mount Carmel, by St. John of the Cross, 1542-1591. May be downloaded in PDF format through the Saints’ Books index.
- The Book of Supreme Truth, by Blessed John Ruysbroeck. Available at the Catholic Community Forum.
- The Inner Way, by Johannes Tauler, O.P. Available at Catholic Primer. Mysticism, Spirituality, Prayer.
- The Interior Castle, by St. Teresa of Avila, (1515- 1582). Prayer, Spirituality, Mysticism. Available on Catholic Treasury.
- The Dialogue of the Seraphic Virgin St. Catherine of Siena, Dictated By Her, While In A State Of Ecstasy, To Her Secretaries, And Completed In The Year Of Our Lord 1370, Together With An Account Of Her Death By An Eye-Witness, Translated From The Original Italian By Algar Thorold, A New And Abridged Edition. Contains A Treatise Of Divine Providence; A Treatise Of Discretion; A Treatise Of Prayer; A Treatise Of Obedience. May be read at Saints’ Works and may be downloaded in PDF and RTF formats through the Saints’ Books index,
- The Mind’s Road to God, by St. Bonaventure. May be downloaded in PDF format through the Saints’ Books index,
- A Manual of Mystical Theology, or, The Extraordinary Graces of the Supernatural Life Explained, by Arthur Devine (London: R. & T. Washbourne, 1903). With Imprimatur. Available on Internet Archive and Open Library (Digitizing sponsor: MSN; Book contributor: Kelly Library, University of Toronto).
- The Practice of the Presence of God, by Brother Lawrence of the Resurrection. Available in multiple formats at Project Gutenberg and Internet Archive,
- Prophecies and Revelations of St. Bridget of Sweden. May be read at Saints’ Works and may be downloaded in PDF and RTF formats through the Saints’ Books index,
- The Shepherd of Hermas (c.100 AD). Translated by F. Crombie. From Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol. 2. Edited by Alexander Roberts, James Donaldson, and A. Cleveland Coxe. (Buffalo, NY: Christian Literature Publishing Co., 1885.). Available at New Advent, with active links to relevant Scripture passages and Catholic Encyclopedia articles (Revised and edited for New Advent by Kevin Knight; copyright 2009 by Kevin Knight)
- The Sparkling Stone, by Jan Van Ruusbroec. From the Amherst Manuscript. Available on Umilta. [Uses older English spelling.]
- Spiritual Canticle of the Soul and the Bridegroom Christ, by St. John of the Cross (1919). With Imprimatur. Available at Internet Archive.
- The way of perfection, 2nd ed., translated from the autograph of Saint Teresa of Jesus by the Benedictines of Stanbrook including all the variants from the Escorial and Valladolid editions; revised with notes and an introduction by F. Benedict Zimmerman; with additional notes by the translator. (London: Baker, 1919). Available at Open Library with a 2nd copy here and a 3rd copy here.
For more links to free ebooks on various topics, you may visit the Catholic eBooks Project.